Inside Artwork: Yes
Finish Type: TBA
Actors: Kirk Douglas, Laurence Olivier, Jean Simmons, Charles Laughton, Peter Ustinov, John Gavin
Director: Stanley Kubrick
Language: ENGLISH: DTS:X, ENGLISH: DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 (48kHz, 24-bit), FRENCH: DTS 5.1, CZECH: DTS 5.1, THAI: DTS 5.1, POLISH: DTS 2.0, RUSSIAN: DTS 2.0
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Cantonese, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, Hindi, Korean, Mandarin (Simplified), Mandarin (Traditional), Norwegian, Polish, Russian, Swedish, Thai
Region: Region Free
of Discs: 2
Release Date: 1960
Time: 197 Min.
- NEW: I Am Spartacus: A Conversation with Kirk Douglas (1080p, 9:39): The acclaimed actor discusses his memorable role in
Spartacus, speaking on the challenges in making a movie of that scale, the cast, Stanley Kubrick's direction, his book I Am
the Hollywood "blacklist" of decades past and Dalton Trumbo's involvement with the film, and more.
- NEW: Restoring Spartacus (1080p, 9:00): Universal's VP
of Content Management Peter Schade, Restoration Project Manager
Seanine Bird, and Re-Recording Mixer John Blum discuss going back to the
original source, the film's original editing, the original shoot in
"Technirama," using a 6K scanner that outputs at 4K, repairing damage to
the original elements while staying true to the original filmmaker
Blu-ray.com member Robert Harris' involvement in Spartacus' restorations, the color
correction process, removing dirt and scratches, and sourcing a 7.1 surround presentation from the
- Deleted Scenes (480i):
- Spartacus Meets Varinia (UK Version) (2:07)
- Spartacus Meets Varinia (US Version) (2:25)
- 1967 Finale (2:26)
- Gracchus' Suicide (Audio Recording) (0:59).
- Archival Interviews (480i): With Peter Ustinov (2:57) and Jean Simmons (3:43).
- Behind the Scenes Footage (480i, 5:11): Swordplay rehearsals.
- Vintage Newsreels (480i):
- London Ovation (1:44)
- Tony Curtis Honored (1:12)
- Sir Laurence Olivier Returns to
- Kirk Douglas Honored (0:51)
- Kirk Douglas Arrives in New York (0:35).
- Image Gallery (1080p): Production Stills, Concept Art, Costume Designs, Saul Bass Storyboards, and
Posters & Print Ads.
- Theatrical Trailer (480i, 2:45).
Filmed in Technirama, this epic story chronicles one of histories
greatest underdogs — Spartacus! He and other slaves are sold to an owner
of a school for gladiators. Spartacus excels and is rewarded with a
slave women, Varinia, for his pleasure in which he demurs. However they
eventually fall for each other before a death match for a corrupt Roman
senator, Marcus Crassus. After the brutal spectacle, Spartacus is
enraged by the death of his friends and the loss of his love. He leads a
revolt and bolts. Marching across the countryside to escape over the
sea to their homelands, he is elated to find Varinia. Their quest
becomes entwined with the political aspirations of Crassus and sets the
fate of all three. Spartacus' saga survives the test of time and has
been immortalized by this landmark film.